Below are the recommended download speeds per stream for streaming TV shows and movies from Netflix.
- 0.5 megabits per second: connection speed required
- 1.5 megabits per second: recommended connection speed
- 3 megabits per second: recommendation for SD quality
- 5 megabits per second: recommendation for HD quality
- 25 megabits per second: recommendation for Ultra HD quality
Watch Netflix in HD
To watch Netflix in HD, make sure you have an HD plan , then set the video quality to Auto or High . Titles will be played in HD as long as the connection speed remains at least 5 megabits per second.
Manage Netflix’s bandwidth usage
Higher quality video uses more bandwidth than lower quality video. If your Internet service provider places a cap on bandwidth or data transfer, you can manage bandwidth usage by setting the video quality setting to Low or Medium to consume less data.